Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Remastered Star Trek

Tomorrow we're going to see "The Menagerie" (an original Star Trek episode) on the big screen. This is a limited showing (two nights, three shows) of a remastered classic. "The Menagerie" originally aired in 1966, but includes lots of footage from the original Star Trek pilot "The Cage," which was filmed in 1964 (the 1966 footage acts as a framework for showing the bits of the original pilot). This gives you some idea of the quality of the technical aspects of the show, espeically the special effects; even though they did a pretty good job with what they had, lets just say you can occasionally see the wires suspending the spaceships.

So, for the 40th anniversary of Star Trek Paramount has decided to release remastered versions of the originals, both on TV and DVD in sets that include both regular and HD versions. (I don't plan on buying anything in HD until that whole mess is settled and everyone gets their act together, but that's another story entirely.) This includes new cgi special effects as well as upgrading the picture and sound quality.

Now, I've seen Star Trek episodes on TV that definitely include the new cgi effects, if nothing else (I couldn't see any other changes) and I have to say I'm not impressed. The effects are cool, but they really clash with the whole 1960s mystique of the rest of the episode; which of these things are not like the others?

I'm not sure about this whole remastering craze. I can see the point of just remastering the sound and the picture (making them clearer, etc.), especially with HD. But there's such a temptation to go beyond that as long as you're in there changing things. The Star Wars thing is a prime, if extreme, example. Actually rewriting? Please. That's just going too far. Especially if you decide to not release the old versions on DVD anymore.

One of the original Star Trek's hallmarks is what they did with very little budget and a lot of imagination. In "Spectre of the Gun" for instance, they didn't have a lot of money for sets, so they built very little set and used that to emphasize the dream-like quality of the story. If someone went back and "enhanced" the sets with cgi, it would change the character of the show drastically.

I'm interested to see what I know is a completely remastered episode, and not a regular ep with extra bits thrown in. For sure, I am excited to see the original Star Trek on the big screen. That I know will be worth the price of admission.

Melissa.

2 comments:

Darth Librarian said...

Funny you should mention this--I just watched the entire SW Saga in the last week (hello, geek), and it still irks me that ESB was so messed with. I understand it was done to shore up plot and continutity, blah blah blah, but come on! A few effects here and there don't really bother me, and the addition of Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ is...curious (I won't complain, bc Hayden is a FAR sight better than Sebastain Shaw), but it seemed like a frivolous change.

It seems like the whole remastering craze is getting out of hand--why mess with what was a good thing at the time? Star Trek, too, was state-of-the-art at the time, and it's that camp factor that endears us to it all the more. Yes, some of the effects are just painful to watch, but others still impress me for the time period and the fact that it was TV. I'd much prefer it if creators/authors/directors, etc., would simply stand by their work, or if they must tinker, then truly give the option to the fan, and not promote it as "THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE!!" If it was meant to be that way, it wouldn't have been made until now.

BTW, "The Cage" and "The Menagerie" still creep me out. Those aliens...*shivers* However, I think the military should institute go-go boots for all female officers.

John Larson said...

Just saw the final cut of Blade Runner. This is the one re-master/re-issue that actually improves on the original. The new/re-done stuff is so subtle that you hardly notice it, and it actually improves the story.

There is one "Greedo shoots first" moment that I am sure is going to fill the Web with controversy, but for me at least, it improved the story, made it more meaningful.

Catch it if you can!